Monday, September 28, 2009

The Last Post


Well folks that wraps it up, nearly five weeks walking across Spain from St Jean de Pied Port in France to Santiago! We talked the talk and now we´ve walked the walk. Tonight we catch the train to Madrid and tomorrow morning our flight home. I hope you enjoyed following our travels, for those planning on doing it themselves, nothing can really prepare you for the experience (but do what you can anyway!). At the start of the blog I paraphrased the great American essayist Henry David Thoreau, the last words go to his associate Walt Whitman -

Afoot and light hearted I take to the open road

Healthy, free, the world before me

The long brown path before leading wherever I choose

Henceforth I ask not good fortune, I myself am good fortune

Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing!

Done with indoor complaints, libraries, querulous criticisms

Strong and content I travel the open road

It is safe -I have tried it-my own feet have tried it well- be not detained!

Let the paper remain on the desk unwritten, and the book on the shelf unopen´d!

Let the tools remain in the workshop! Let the money remain unearn´d!

Let the school stand! Mind not the cry of the teacher!
You road I enter upon and look around, I believe you are not all that is here ,
I believe that much unseen is also here !


From The Open Road (Leaves of Grass) Walt Whitman

No comments:

Post a Comment